Toptal is a network of the world’s top 3% of software engineering, design, and finance talent – available on demand to help companies accelerate, adapt, and scale. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun [see this video from The Huffington Post]. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
If you’re not in the job market, you’re exactly the type of person we’re looking for.
As Toptal’s Vice President of Events, you will build and execute an event marketing strategy to help grow Toptal’s business in the enterprise space and create a game-changing, industry-defining company shaping the future of work. Our event strategy must be A+ and reflect our brand, showcasing Toptal’s extreme focus on top quality. You will plan and manage all event logistics for Toptal hosted and third-party events.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
You will build and execute an amazing event marketing strategy and develop a scalable program, owning it from beginning to end. You will expand your circle of influence and executive network significantly, while learning how to network at the top level of organizations. As you experience success, you will build a team. You will work in an entirely distributed company and help define an entirely new space while learning about how an organization is built from the ground up.
In the first week you will:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Assess what has and has not worked and start to develop your overall event marketing strategy.
- Work with cross-functional teams to understand how you can best assist them.
- Understand what events are already planned and in-flight, and dive in immediately to take over leadership and drive them.
In the first month you will:
- Assess the current event marketing plan and ensure it fits the goals of the organization.
- Finalize the event marketing strategy and also tactically support a few events that will produce a significant return on investment.
- Take over all in-flight and planned initiatives.
In the first three months you will:
- Have the events strategy in full motion. These will be both Toptal events and third-party hosted events.
- Have created demonstrable value and measurable KPIs that help to drive revenue for our business.
- Monitor and measure the success of events against company goals.
In the first six months you will:
- Develop a repeatable model and playbook for planning, executing, and measuring events of all types.
- Constantly test and refine your process to make improvements over time.
In the first year you will:
- Implement the events model and playbook at scale, building a team and taking our events capabilities to the next level.
- Extremely resourceful. You will be a one person team working across the organization to get things done. You will determine and execute on future hiring needs after you have demonstrated success and written the playbook for events.
- Exceptional decision making abilities.
- Clear vision. You need to understand what makes an event compelling and how it’ll be valuable to attendees.
- You must be highly responsive to business needs, sudden opportunities, and changes in plan.
- Ability to drive engagement. You understand how to not only run and coordinate events, but also deeply grasp how to drive executives and decision makers to an event.
- Hustle. You understand how to build from the ground up and will hustle to make events a huge success.
- Ownership. You take responsibility for the success of all events.
- Quality. You take pride in everything you deliver as a reflection of yourself.
- You must be highly detail-oriented.
- Ability to take smart risks and champion new ideas.
- You must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly and constantly with teams via Slack and other collaboration tools.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- Breanden has been an engineer, founder, CTO, and consultant in industries ranging from aerospace to financial services to high tech. He has a BSE in Chemical Engineering from Princeton University, where he was previously asked to speak at TEDxPrincetonU, giving a talk on time optimization and resource management. As a Toptal co-founder, Breanden frequently writes about scaling a hyper-growth and distributed company, and he has been featured on the blog of Tim Ferriss, The Huffington Post, and many others. Having been on both sides of the hiring equation as an engineer and team lead, Breanden combines his technical expertise and management experience to ensure that clients, developers, and team members at Toptal continually strive for excellence as the company rapidly scales.
- With experience as a lead engineer at Fotolog (acquired by Hi-Media for $100m) and Slide (acquired by Google for $228m), as well as experience with his own start-ups, Taso brings top engineering knowledge and management experience to Toptal. While running a small engineering consulting firm, Taso recognized that while many of his co-workers overseas were just as good as his friends and colleagues at Google, Facebook, and other companies with distinguished engineering talent, it was simply very difficult for such companies to connect with the right engineers remotely. Toptal was thus created as a solution to the sky-rocketing demand for top engineers in Silicon Valley, the US, and Europe despite the shrinking local graduation rates of such engineers. Taso was recently selected by Forbes as one of its 30 under 30 in Enterprise Technology.
- As the VP of Enterprise Strategy, Michael is responsible for driving the rapid scaling of our Enterprise business by establishing processes, service offerings and strategies to take our business to the next level. The Toptal Enterprise team is responsible for developing relationships with leading organizations around the world, and helping those organizations leverage the power of Toptal’s global talent community. With a consulting and entrepreneurial background, through his various leadership roles at organizations such as Accenture and Slalom Consulting, Michael has worked with teams around the world, serving clients at some of the world’s largest companies.