Back-end Engineering Intern
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As a Back-end Engineering Intern, you will get to learn from and work with our world-class Back-end Engineers. Most of our back-end systems are written in Ruby on Rails, so that’s a Fantastic opportunity to gain some experience with one of the best web frameworks.
During the internship you’ll learn about the best practices of modern web development and get to work on various real-world tasks together with your mentor, and occasionally independently.
This is a 6-month paid internship program that may conclude with a permanent position within one of our great core engineering teams.
This is a full-time, flexible hours, remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- You will learn to build and maintain top-notch software serving thousands of businesses every day.
Among other responsibilities:
- Follow the guidance of your mentors.
- Learn something new and improve your skills every week.
- Write elegant, efficient, and testable code that is easy to read and maintain.
- As a great teammate, continuously improve the team’s processes, brainstorm ideas, and commit to the “Quality First” mentality.
- Be a mentee, provide feedback, and grow as a part of the team.
- Actively participate in meetings including Scrum meetings, squad meetings, pair programming sessions, etc.
In the first week, expect to:
- Begin your onboarding and integration into Toptal.
- Get familiar with our processes, tools, product portfolio and team structure.
In the first month, expect to:
- Learn about the technology that powers Toptal - services, patterns, and libraries we use and develop.
- Have strong knowledge of Toptal’s business.
- Contribute to our product development.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Develop a deeper understanding of our technology, processes, and product pipeline.
- Be ready to propose and implement improvements to Toptal’s processes and codebase.
- Deliver value in a regular cadence.
- Get comfortable in your daily work within your team.
- Get your code successfully reviewed by your colleagues.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Drive improvements to the codebase.
- Be able to not only solve complex problems but also consider multiple solutions, weigh them, and decide on the best course of action.
- Go through the 6 months evaluation program in order to know what will be expected of you in the permanent Junior Back-end Engineer position and get to know your permanent team.
- Currently studying Computer Science (or similar) at a technical University or recently graduated.
- Have a good knowledge of CS fundamentals (e.g. basic algorithms and data structures)
- Be highly interested and motivated to pursue a career as a software engineer.
- Some experience with a language like Ruby, Python or PHP will be considered a plus.
- Some experience with web development will be considered a plus.
- Great spoken and written communication skills.
- High energy level, zest for learning from the best.