Business Analyst - Marketing Analytics
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Are you looking to play a meaningful role as a strategic advisor to both our business functions and our leaders? Do you have an uncanny ability to see the bigger picture and make cross-functional connections to business processes, performance, and data? If so, we encourage you to apply to our Business Analyst role! This role reports to the Director of Business Analytics and is on the Business Operations team. Our Business Operations Team is a multi-disciplinary group working across the broader Toptal organization to orchestrate the strategic approach, execution frameworks, analytics, and team structures necessary to drive Toptal’s growth.
We’re looking for a senior-level analyst to support our Marketing team, by providing our business leaders with crucial insights and recommendations for improvement. This team member will use data, create and define metrics, measure performance, and develop reports. They will also build models, forecast outcomes, run experiments, and perform in-depth diagnostic analysis.
We are very driven and proactive, think independently, and do not just take orders. This person needs to build positive relationships across the organization and have a “find a way” attitude. Ultimate success goes beyond data- and modeling-related activities and delivers the “so what” that drives decisions and real business impact. The expectation is to answer not only the question asked but the one that wasn’t!
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Partner with our Marketing team to empower data-backed decision making.
- Analyze data, test hypotheses, find root causes, develop prototypes, forecast performance, build financial models, and extract insights from all these activities to inform business decisions.
- Build models utilizing SQL and Python.
- Utilize your analysis skills to assess and make recommendations that will optimize the performance of the organization.
- Define metrics that are independent, holistic, accurate, encourage the right behaviors, and that are aligned with company strategy and objectives.
- Proactively identify and surface opportunities to improve efficiency, conversion, revenue generation, client and talent experience, operations, communication, systems & tools, etc.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal, and quickly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Shadow key teams to learn the core of Toptal’s operations and capabilities.
- Start to familiarize yourself with all existing data sources.
In the first month, expect to:
- Obtain a basic understanding of the Marketing function and its operations.
- Understand the data generated through company operations and activities and where/how that data is stored.
- Assess the current state of performance metrics, reports, dashboards, models, and analyses used, and identify discrepancies and areas for improvement.
- Begin supporting the function leaders with relevant insights and reports for bi-weekly leadership meetings.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Develop a proficiency of data elements and obtain a robust understanding of critical business processes.
- Gain an understanding and ability to assess the drivers and impacts of business decisions on performance.
- Begin standardizing definitions and aligning metrics with OKRs and company initiatives.
- Begin identifying new opportunities to explore in the quest to improve performance continually.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Begin to solve real business problems as a team that will move the needle on key performance metrics and financial performance.
- Help us align and standardize metric definitions across the company.
- Perform detailed root cause analysis to expose critical drivers of performance.
In the first year, expect to:
- Inform significant strategic initiatives, goals, priorities, and performance indicators.
- Become an expert both on business process and data flow, and assist in building a new outstanding business analytics function.
- 3+ years of experience in business analytics, data science, business intelligence, or reporting is required.
- Experience supporting or working with a Marketing team is strongly preferred.
- Experience with BI tools (Tableau, Qlik, UltiProBI, PowerBI, etc.)
- Proficiency in SQL; experience with R, Python, or MATLAB is a plus.
- Experience with Google Analytics is preferred.
- Experience in exploratory data analysis, prototyping, testing hypotheses, performing root cause analyses, modeling business processes, building forecasts, creating predictive models, defining metrics, and/or measuring business performance.
- Track record of linking data and analytics to business strategy, financial performance, and operations to drive real impact.
- Working knowledge of probability and statistics, experience with process improvement is a plus.
- Ability to explain complex issues simply and intuitively, and willingness to challenge assumptions, communicate limitations and flag blind spots.
- Both a proven background in math, science, finance, engineering, or statistics and deep business insight and financial sense are required; advanced degrees and/or MBA are a plus.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.