Toptal is a network of the world’s top 3% of software engineering, design, and finance talent – available on demand to help companies accelerate, adapt, and scale. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun [see this video from The Huffington Post]. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
If you’re not in the job market, you’re exactly the type of person we’re looking for.
As Toptal’s Compliance Manager, you will build a program for operational compliance company-wide. You will drive systems, process, and playbooks to help us grow and create a game-changing, industry-defining company shaping the future of work. You will act as a program manager and engage stakeholders to constantly advise on the best course of action based on the most up to date global legal standards. This is a new position that will require a lot of discovery and action to drive results.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
You will build and execute models and processes to ensure that Toptal is always remaining compliant, owning it from beginning to end. You will navigate the organization, research information, and determine the correct course of action to bring manual processes to automation. You will work in an entirely distributed company and help define an entirely new space while learning about how an organization is built from the ground up.
In the first week you will:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Work with cross-functional teams to understand how you can best assist them.
- Understand the top priorities and initiatives to develop.
In the first month you will:
- Assess the current state and detail a plan of action for worker classification, data privacy, and OFAC requirements.
- Ensure our programs align with the goals of the organization.
- Develop the first manual processes and put a program in place to automate it.
In the first three months you will:
- Have the compliance strategy in full motion. These will be both existing programs and a list of future programs to build.
- Have created demonstrable value and measureable KPIs that help to drive our business.
- Monitor and measure the success of these programs against company goals.
In the first six months you will:
- Develop a repeatable model and playbook for planning, executing, and measuring compliance situations of all types.
- Constantly test and refine your process to make improvements over time.
In the first year you will:
- Implement the compliance models and playbook at scale, taking our compliance programs to the next level.
- Extremely resourceful. You will be a one person team working across the organization to get things done.
- Exceptional decision making abilities. You will live in the gray area and determine the best course of action based on a set of guidelines.
- You cherish business and law. You have run programs, written policies, and thrive when creating compliance programs.
- You must be highly responsive to business needs, sudden opportunities, and changes in plan.
- Hustle. You understand how to build from the ground up and will hustle to make it happen.
- Ownership. You take responsibility for the success of all programs.
- Quality. You take pride in everything you deliver as a reflection of yourself.
- You must be highly detail-oriented.
- Ability to take smart risks and champion new ideas.
- You must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly and constantly with teams via Slack and other collaboration tools.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- With experience as a lead engineer at Fotolog (acquired by Hi-Media for $100m) and Slide (acquired by Google for $228m), as well as experience with his own start-ups, Taso brings top engineering knowledge and management experience to Toptal. While running a small engineering consulting firm, Taso recognized that while many of his co-workers overseas were just as good as his friends and colleagues at Google, Facebook, and other companies with distinguished engineering talent, it was simply very difficult for such companies to connect with the right engineers remotely. Toptal was thus created as a solution to the sky-rocketing demand for top engineers in Silicon Valley, the US, and Europe despite the shrinking local graduation rates of such engineers. Taso was recently selected by Forbes as one of its 30 under 30 in Enterprise Technology.
- As the VP of Enterprise Strategy, Michael is responsible for driving the rapid scaling of our Enterprise business by establishing processes, service offerings and strategies to take our business to the next level. The Toptal Enterprise team is responsible for developing relationships with leading organizations around the world, and helping those organizations leverage the power of Toptal’s global talent community. With a consulting and entrepreneurial background, through his various leadership roles at organizations such as Accenture and Slalom Consulting, Michael has worked with teams around the world, serving clients at some of the world’s largest companies.