Director of Brand Marketing Strategy
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As the Director of Brand Marketing Strategy, you will be responsible for overseeing the brand marketing strategy for Toptal, including awareness campaigns, creative execution, and image-building. You will accomplish this by collaborating with the relevant Executive and Marketing team members. Your primary focus will be to work with the relevant experts within your own team, the Creative team, Growth Marketing team, Product Marketing team, and Market Insights team to formulate which creative initiatives to focus on. By understanding our users, the best ideas from the marketing teams, and the capabilities that exist within Toptal, you will be expected to work with your team of strategists to formulate a comprehensive brand marketing strategy to create the relevant creative for the relevant audiences. You will be expected to be both a facilitator and generator of world-class marketing ideas that are put into action at Toptal, primarily on the creative and content side. By facilitating, generating, organizing, planning, and seeing through to execution all marketing ideas at Toptal, you will lead Toptal’s brand and content strategy from every aspect.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Work with the Executive, Enterprise, SMB, Talent Operations, and other key teams across the company to set and execute the roadmap for Toptal’s short- and long-term creative plans.
- Work with the Business Analytics and Market Insights teams extrapolating insights and turning those insights into actionable brand strategy that both the marketing teams can leverage to create initiatives around.
- Guide the prioritization of Marketing-related initiatives across both brand strategy and creative teams as Toptal scales.
- Ensure the brand strategy team is maximizing the impact of all creative that’s being produced by working closely with relevant business and product stakeholders.
- Oversee the interviewing and hiring of new team members as the team continues to scale.
- Facilitate effective brainstorming sessions which contribute to the generation of new ideas that push the boundaries of what’s possible within both brand and growth marketing.
- Help facilitate effective training on brand marketing-related topics in order to ensure all of the relevant stakeholders are properly educated on how to infuse the best content and creative into their initiatives and products, maximizing their impact.
- Provide thought leadership, strategic insight, and clear communication (written and verbal) to your team and the organization on the company’s brand marketing strategy.
- Act as a high-level project manager to all of the marketing-related initiatives that your team is responsible for, ensuring that all initiatives are on time and adequately resourced.
- Be in constant communication with team members via Slack, Zoom and other means.
In the first week, expect to:
- Work to get up to speed with how the organization runs, including how our OKRs, RACIs, and other operational frameworks work.
In the first month, expect to:
- Understand the inner workings of the marketing team and how they work effectively with other teams. You will also be expected to identify many optimizations and opportunities that you see relating to furthering the growth tactics, organizational dynamics, and talent capabilities of the Marketing team.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Have a very strong understanding of how the Marketing function and all related external functions are working together with Marketing.
- Have charted a path for ensuring collaboration is strong and work output remains at an extremely high quality level for all Marketing-related initiatives.
- Have garnered the trust of your peers and the individuals that you’re most closely working with.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Have exemplified the ability to inspire and mentor the teams you’re working with.
- Have upleveled the team’s ability to brainstorm, collaborate, and execute materially.
- Have introduced several growth-related tactics that are innovative, sustainable, and a direct result of your personal efforts.
- Have chartered a clear path for scaling the team, as well as the work output that Marketing is able to produce.
In the first year, expect to:
- Have scaled the team and work output of content and creative significantly.
- Have demonstrated the successful implementation and execution of several new brand strategies and tactics.
- Have garnered the trust of the Executive and Senior Leadership Team in your ability to lead branding, content creation, and Brand Marketing Strategy for the long-term.
- You must have at least seven years of experience in working with product, marketing, and engineering teams, ensuring their work is infused with excellent content and creative when needed.
- You must have the ability to research our clients and users diligently in order to create a content strategy that maps directly to their interests and needs.
- You must have the ability and willingness to review, with meticulous attention to detail, all of the final work product that your team creates. This is especially true for creative work.
- You must be an extremely quick, strategic thinker with exceptional experience leading highly creative teams.
- You must be able to determine if the brand and creative execution for any given marketing initiative is of extremely high quality, or not.
- Extensive experience interviewing candidates for creative-related positions and a keen eye for talent.
- Strong experience leading creative teams at rapidly growing businesses is required. Proven experience as an entrepreneur is preferred.
- Experience leading and scaling cross functional, dynamic teams.
- A strong ability to build highly effective training for teams leveraging brand, creative, and content.
- Experience guiding and executing functional specialization within teams, including setting and monitoring KPIs that both reflect clear division of responsibilities and larger team goals.
- Demonstrated analytical rigor. You must know how to quantitatively analyze and optimize marketing programs.
- A lean, data-driven, process and KPI-oriented mentality is critical.
- You must have a strong bias for action and the ability to foster a results-driven mentality in your team. You must be extremely persistent by nature and unwilling to let your team lose or leave problems unsolved.
- You must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
We’re looking for someone who will meticulously analyze and provide insightful feedback on all of the creative, copy, images, growth tactics, and other types of work output related to Marketing initiatives, not simply a high-level strategist. We expect such reviews to be meaningful and to provide insightful feedback to all team members working on a given initiative. All Executive and Senior Leadership Team members at Toptal are required to have full control and ownership over the work output relating to their functions and sub-functions.