Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As the Director of Business Analytics you will lead and develop advanced analytic capabilities to provide deep business insights and accelerate Toptal’s data-driven decision making.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. All communication and resumes must be submitted in English.
In this role, you will own the development and ongoing leadership of an exceptional analytics function supporting the entire Toptal business. Initial responsibilities include establishing a framework that promotes accurate, precise, and useful data products that align with the strategic business needs of key stakeholders. You will provide strong leadership for the development and execution of a comprehensive analytics strategy, while providing timely and robust insights for decision-making that drives critical business decisions supporting Toptal’s aggressive growth plans.
You will work in an entirely distributed company and help define an enhanced discipline while learning about how an organization is built from the ground up.
We are unable to provide visa sponsorship at this time.
In the first week you will:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Shadow key teams across the company to learn the core of Toptal’s operations and capabilities.
In the first month you will:
- Complete a current state assessment.
- Understand the company operations and activities, and how those activities generate data.
- Define processes that govern the intake and prioritization of business requests, estimating, and ensure accurate and timely completion of work in progress.
- Catalog and communicate what is available to the business in current state.
- Evaluate current ad-hoc reporting capabilities and recommend future state to ensure agile response.
- Mentor, train, and develop our existing business analysts.
In the first three months you will:
- Partner with stakeholders to define the purpose and long term vision of the role that business analytics serves in Toptal.
- Recommend, gain agreement, and potentially restructure business analytics to ensure efficient execution.
- Strengthen and unify the business analysts across Toptal operations.
- Partner with data engineering to help define the balance and blend of data vision and exploration.
- Partner with data engineering leadership to develop a process to prioritize initiatives based on the company-wide analytics needs.
- Validate analyst work to ensure the accuracy of proper analysis and recommendations.
- Complete the validation and documentation processes as part of an Analytics framework.
In the first six months you will:
- Develop advanced analytic capabilities by providing a vision and partnering with data engineering leadership for how data science and machine learning capabilities can propel our business forward.
- Rapidly gain an understanding of the business requirements and design roadmaps that respond to Toptal’s short and long-term strategic direction.
- Hire and retain the best team that can propel the Analytics vision forward.
In the first year you will:
- Formalize the Analytics discipline to support the aggressive growth trajectory that Toptal has planned.
- Proven capability in building and managing an analytics organization supporting multiple teams.
- Self-starter who is able to be hands-on and can analyze, interpret and derive insights into business reports, analytic models, and data sources.
- Ability to learn business processes at a near-native level to understand the role that analytics plays in supporting the business.
- Experience with effectively presenting and influencing stakeholder strategic business decisions based on complex data analytics.
- Ability to effectively convey business requirements to development teams.
- Experience working with Agile Project Management methodologies.
- Experience coaching and growing individuals in analytics, data affluency, and reporting.
- Ability to negotiate competing priorities in the business.
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Demonstrated data visualization and querying (SQL) expertise. Tableau experience is preferred, but similar systems with transferrable skillsets (Looker, QlikView, Periscope, PowerBI, etc) are acceptable.
- Working knowledge of data management and architecture to assist our analysts in optimizing our data assets to support business operations.
- Ability to consult with data scientists and machine learning experts. Working knowledge of probability and statistics is required; experience in programming languages used in data science (R, MATLAB, Python) is a plus.
- Ability to build relationships at an executive level.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
For Toptal Use Only: #ustech
GMT-7 to GMT-4