Toptal is a network of the world’s top 3% of software engineering, design, finance, and project management talent – available on demand to help companies accelerate, adapt, and scale. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun [see this video from The Huffington Post]. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
If you’re not in the job market, you’re exactly the type of person we’re looking for.
As General Counsel, you will be responsible for supporting Toptal’s legal operations pertaining to business development, IP, and general corporate legal requirements. You will be a strong contributor who collaborates closely with the executive team and team members all over the world. As a business enabler, you will support efforts relating to enterprise sales, product, marketing, engineering, finance, HR, etc. While this is an individual contributor role, previous experience managing outside counsel as well as in-house General Counsel experience is required.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
- Engage across the business as Toptal’s in-house General Counsel on legal issues and risks, complex deal structures, corporate policies and procedures, acquisitions, commercial deals, and intellectual property protection.
- Recommend and implement policies to support scalability while reducing operational risk.
- Create and implement templates for master service agreements, compensation plans, EULAs, etc.
- Negotiate complex commercial terms and large commercial deals.
- Work with team members to simplify complex legal language and negotiate and manage NDAs, master service agreements, and statements of work with enterprise clients.
- Provide legal advice, opinions, and solutions regarding issues and risks relating to the ongoing and rapidly expanding business.
- Manage and interface with outside legal counsel.
- Anticipate and counsel Toptal management regarding potential disputes.
- Drive legal and business strategies without losing sight of the day-to-day operations.
- Provide thought leadership, strategic insight, and clear communication (written and verbal) to team members on strategy.
- Be in constant communication with team members via Zoom.
- Admission to a U.S. State or the District of Columbia bar.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience across both law firm and corporate settings.
- Significant experience working with venture-backed technology companies as their in-house General Counsel.
- Experience structuring and advising clients on complex transactions, including master service agreements, statements of work, NDAs, licensing agreements, and partnership agreements.
- Strong experience structuring, negotiating, and closing commercial terms and large commercial deals.
- Experience negotiating commercial deals and commercial terms centered around services.
- Experience dealing with global employment law, including independent contracting, stock options, compensation plans, and HR issues.
- Excellent customer service (internal and external), interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- The ability to quickly master and integrate legal, business, technical, and practical analysis.
- An extremely sharp eye for detail with exceptional business judgment and a knack for coming up with creative solutions.
- The ability to support and scale in a fast-growing company with a focus on execution.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- As Toptal's co-founder and COO, Breanden drives Toptal's growth by building world-class teams and operational infrastructure spanning 40+ countries to meet the talent needs of Toptal's 10,000+ clients. As a frequent writer, Breanden has published articles on leadership of distributed teams and hypergrowth company culture. Having been on both sides of the hiring equation as an engineer and team lead, Breanden combines his technical expertise and management experience to ensure that clients, talent, and team members at Toptal continually strive for excellence as the company rapidly scales. Breanden has a BSE in Chemical Engineering from Princeton University.
- As Toptal’s co-founder and CEO, Taso manages Toptal’s core team of hundreds of team members distributed throughout the world, with a focus on innovation. Since Toptal was founded in 2010, Taso has led it to become the largest high-skilled labor marketplace in the world. Taso serves on the board of multiple organizations, advising on talent strategy and innovation for Fortune 100s and non-profits. Taso has guest lectured at Harvard Business School, Wharton, and Oxford on talent management and entrepreneurship.