Toptal is a network of the world’s top 3% of software engineering, design, and finance talent – available on demand to help companies accelerate, adapt, and scale. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun [see this video from The Huffington Post]. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
If you’re not in the job market, you’re exactly the type of person we’re looking for.
At Toptal, creating beautiful, functional designs that contribute seamlessly to user experience is critical to us. We don’t cut corners or make compromises, and as we rapidly grow, we need to ensure that our design teams are able to execute at scale without loss in quality.
As the Head of Design, you will be in charge of setting the product design workflow and team structure that will enable streamlined collaboration between our designers, product, and engineering teams at scale. To excel in this role, you must have an excellent understanding of how to apply “Design Thinking” methodologies at scale in an agile organization.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
- Lead Toptal’s product design functions, collaborating with stakeholders around the company to understand the needs of their teams and establishing a team structure and end-to-end workflow designed to best serve those needs.
- Empower and mentor designers on your team, fostering a collaborative, productive, and positive environment within a growing team.
- Maintain and further build design team workflows that ensure that all designs delivered are in line with our style guides and extremely high quality standards.
- Work with your team to optimize output and ensure that the large volume of deliverables requested of the design team on a daily basis are completed on time.
- Gauge fluctuations in the needs of relevant teams at Toptal and hire more designers for your team accordingly.
- Lead your team in expanding mastery of the business goals of each design request and pushing back on stakeholders with innovative UX/UI proposals.
- Empower your team members to proactively lead iteration cycles with stakeholders and push designs forward according to the team’s vision and understanding of the business goals of each request.
- Be highly communicative and responsive both within your team and to stakeholders across the company while managing a large volume of ongoing projects.
- Take smart risks and champion new ideas.
- Hire, onboard, train, and mentor new team members.
- Lead team meetings and strategy sessions.
- Communicate constantly with teams via Slack and other collaboration tools.
- You must be extremely pragmatic and have an exceptional ability to empower and manage teams of designers.
- 5+ years of experience as a product designer with proven experience leading design efforts on multiple interconnected products.
- Experience leading 5+ person design teams collaborating with multiple mission-critical areas of a company and containing designers with specialized responsibilities.
- Proven experience building and maintaining style guides and streamlined UI/UX workflows with QA feedback systems.
- Experience with B2B software or, at minimum, operationally complicated software (i.e not just single purpose apps).
- Extensive mastery of Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch, and InVision, with a strong understanding of when design teams should be using each tool.
- Ability to create and work towards an overall product design vision that meets and enhances business goals across the company.
- Ability to consider long-term sustainability in all design decisions and maintain an eye for reusability in designs.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- With experience as a lead engineer at Fotolog (acquired by Hi-Media for $100m) and Slide (acquired by Google for $228m), as well as experience with his own start-ups, Taso brings top engineering knowledge and management experience to Toptal. While running a small engineering consulting firm, Taso recognized that while many of his co-workers overseas were just as good as his friends and colleagues at Google, Facebook, and other companies with distinguished engineering talent, it was simply very difficult for such companies to connect with the right engineers remotely. Toptal was thus created as a solution to the sky-rocketing demand for top engineers in Silicon Valley, the US, and Europe despite the shrinking local graduation rates of such engineers. Taso was recently selected by Forbes as one of its 30 under 30 in Enterprise Technology.