Toptal is one of the most innovative and rapidly expanding tech start-ups from Silicon Valley. With backing from investors such as Andreessen Horowitz and Adam D’Angelo, our platform is the fastest growing labor marketplace in the history of the Internet—connecting thousands of elite engineers and designers all over the world. In the last five years, Toptal has become the #1 choice for tech companies requiring top-tier engineering and design talent and for the top 3% of freelancers looking for their next challenge.
While we’re primarily focused on bringing quality and value to our clients, we’re also committed to creating a world-class environment for our employees. We are a completely distributed company with thousands of core and network team members located all over the world, and we take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We take an all-hands-on-deck approach to our work, taking pride in being collaborative, creative, and flexible.
If you aren’t looking for a job because you’re already killing it, we want you.
You will be responsible for creating and managing employee relations, compliance, benefits, wellness, and recognition programs to ensure that Toptal continues to be a superior environment in which smart, ambitious people can do their best work and grow professionally. You will work with highly motivated teams to plan, implement, and optimize human resource initiatives and systems designed to enhance productivity at Toptal.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
- Lead the ideation, development, and launch of new HR benefits, wellness, and recognition initiatives.
- Manage new and existing employee data within multiple HR-related systems.
- Provide compensation guidance in alignment with Toptal’s pay-for-performance culture and support the compensation planning process.
- Assist managers and employees in resolving employee relations issues.
- Manage regulatory compliance, including directing HR functions of the company in accordance with both applicable federal/state regulations and policies and Toptal practices.
- Understand, interpret, and appropriately apply employment regulations, effectively implementing updates to maintain compliant policies.
- Coach managers and employees in the interpretation and application of human resource policies and procedures.
- Establish a shared vision among team members and across the company through team-specific and company-wide programs.
- Specify and research initiatives with long-term impact and sustainability in mind.
- Work closely with all teams and employees to solve problems, communicate initiatives, and ensure seamless integration of new team members.
- Effectively use data and analytics to evolve and inform the direction of all HR programs.
- Provide thought leadership, strategic insight, and clear communication (written and verbal) to the team on compliance and strategy.
- Be in constant communication with team members via Skype.
- 5+ years of directly applicable HR experience working with cross-functional global technical teams, preferably in a tech start-up or hypergrowth environment.
- 1+ years experience with global employee benefits.
- Previous experience working remotely and collaborating with remote global teams.
- Expertise with Human Resource Management Systems and a love of working with data.
- Experience supporting rapidly-moving product and operations initiatives driven by highly collaborative teams accustomed to restructuring on the fly.
- Strong leadership and group facilitation skills and an aptitude for connecting with team members located all over the world with a variety of different backgrounds and core talents.
- Significant experience with HR management in a high-paced, data-driven, hypergrowth technology work environment, including strong familiarity with best practices.
- Proven capability in coaching managers on various HR functional areas with specific experience coaching organizational leaders on performance management options.
- Ability to recognize trends within the company and design systematic, goal-oriented HR initiatives.
- A strong analytical background and business, consulting, and change management acumen.
- Ability to build and scale initiatives in a fast-growing company with a focus on execution.
- Excellent knowledge of employment law (both U.S. and globally).
- You must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- With degrees in Human Resource Management and Adult Education and a wealth of experience building HR functions from the ground up, Jen spearheads all people operations initiatives at Toptal. Having led Learning and Leadership Development at Angie's List before joining Toptal, she specializes in leadership training, talent acquisition, performance management, and launching and scaling company-wide initiatives. As the Head of People Operations, Jen is Toptal's primary culture carrier, overseeing the onboarding process for all new hires, leading the continued learning and development of all team members, and ensuring that Toptal's values remain strong as it scales.
- Alisa has extensive experience as an HR leader, with a focus on developing HR infrastructure for small business and start-ups. She has a background as an educator, and specializes in coaching, developing, and motivating employees and teams. She has been a Human Resources Manager at Toptal since 2015.