Toptal is a network of the world’s top 3% of software engineering, design, finance, and project management talent – available on demand to help companies accelerate, adapt, and scale. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun [see this video from The Huffington Post]. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
If you’re not in the job market, you’re exactly the type of person we’re looking for.
As Toptal’s Lead Director of Operations, you will be responsible for all talent screening and client matching strategy for Toptal’s rapidly growing community of operational experts. You will be working closely with Toptal’s Lead Director of Business Talent to specialize and refine Toptal’s screening processes for operations experts. You will be the primary person responsible for defining and maintaining the quality bar for entry into Toptal’s community, ensuring that the operations experts joining Toptal are going to be extremely successful on engagements with clients. You will also be working directly with Toptal clients to understand their company needs and custom-match them with operations experts from Toptal’s network.
Alongside Toptal’s Lead Director of Business Talent, you will be responsible for building the processes and scaling the teams necessary to connect Toptal’s clients with top operations experts at scale.
This is a remote, full-time position that can be done from anywhere.
- Develop and tune a rigorous screening process designed to identify top operations experts while minimizing both false positives and false negatives, testing for everything from professionalism and communication ability to technical know-how and domain experience.
- Screen operations experts from a variety of academic and professional backgrounds seeking to join the Toptal network and ensure that all candidates passing the process are going to be extremely successful working with Toptal clients in a freelance capacity.
- Work with Toptal’s Lead Director of Business Talent and VP of Talent Operations to grow screening operations and build the necessary playbooks and KPIs needed to seamlessly operate a complex screening process at scale.
- Work with Toptal clients to understand their needs and custom-match them to operations talent in a way that maximizes success for both the client and the operations expert.
- Develop training materials and best practice documents to ensure that engagements remain highly successful as operations talent operations scale.
- Grow matching operations and build the matching playbooks and KPIs needed to seamlessly operate a complex screening process at scale.
- Identify leading figures in the financial consulting world and collaborate with them to strengthen Toptal’s network of financial consultants.
- Provide thought leadership, strategic insight, and clear communication (written and verbal) to the team on operations.
- Be in constant communication with team members via Skype, Slack, Email, Phone, etc.
- Strong professional background and a proven record of successful projects as an operations expert.
- A technical degree and Operations Management qualifications are preferred.
- Experience working as a head of operations or a freelance operations expert and hiring operations talent are both preferred.
- You must have experience building teams.
- You must have exceptional communication and client empathy skills, with equal comfort speaking to startup founders or COO of large enterprises across a variety of industries.
- You must have deep knowledge of the operations space from a technical perspective, including all industry best practices, common talent specializations, and team structures.
- Ability to work under pressure and adhere to tight deadlines while never sacrificing quality.
- You must have an unparalleled eye for talent and a strong understanding of the differences in knowledge and expertise between operations experts at the tops of their fields and everyone else.
- Ability to build and scale in a fast-growing company with a focus on execution.
- You must have excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work well with individuals across all functions from engineering to sales.
- You must be a self-starter who can define operations and execute with limited guidance.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor first and foremost to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- As Toptal's co-founder and COO, Breanden drives Toptal's growth by building world-class teams and operational infrastructure spanning 40+ countries to meet the talent needs of Toptal's 10,000+ clients. As a frequent writer, Breanden has published articles on leadership of distributed teams and hypergrowth company culture. Having been on both sides of the hiring equation as an engineer and team lead, Breanden combines his technical expertise and management experience to ensure that clients, talent, and team members at Toptal continually strive for excellence as the company rapidly scales. Breanden has a BSE in Chemical Engineering from Princeton University.