Toptal is a network of the world’s top 3% of software engineering, design, finance, and project management talent – available on demand to help companies accelerate, adapt, and scale. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun [see this video from The Huffington Post]. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
If you’re not in the job market, you’re exactly the type of person we’re looking for.
Reporting directly to the Corporate Controller, the Payroll Manager will be responsible for ensuring the accurate and timely processing of both domestic and international payments, maintain full ownership of Payroll related GL accounts, and ensure the proper payroll related control environment is maintained (SOX).
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere within the United States, and thus the Payroll Manager position will be required to perform at a high level of proficiency with minimal supervision.
Responsibilities will include various other duties as assigned, and you will work with Toptal’s finance team to continuously be making our systems and processes smarter and more efficient.
Proof of eligibility to work in the US will be required.
- Handle tasks from a variety of sources timely and with an extremely high attention to detail.
- Ensure that all inquiries received are either resolved or are on a clear path to resolution within 24 hours of the time they are received.
- Manage workflow to ensure all payroll transactions are processed accurately and timely.
- Manage workflow to ensure all necessary control procedures occur prior to disbursement initiation.
- Reconcile Payroll related GL accounts and produce reconciliation packages for the Corporate Controller review/approval.
- Give the proper oversight to all outsourced payroll providers and escalate issues when necessary.
- Ensure accurate and timely monthly, quarterly, & year-end reporting.
- Set up and reconcile voluntary payroll deductions, prepare reports, and identify and research exceptions.
- Provide the highest level of customer service as needed, and respond to a variety of payroll inquiries in a timely manner.
- Work in tandem with both HR and Finance leaders to ensure a high level of communication and transparency.
- Involve team members as appropriate to solve complex or difficult situations quickly and efficiently.
- Be in constant communication with team members using a variety of remote communication applications.
- Must be a self-starter who takes ownership of the role they are in, has a high level of initiative and drive, and maintains a high level of integrity.
- Must be able to thrive in an unstructured environment and complete day-to-day tasks as well as larger projects with minimal supervision.
- 5+ years of experience in payroll preparation and processing. Manager level experience is preferred.
- Experience performing GL reconciliations, researching variances, and recommending/performing proper remediation steps.
- Must possess a high level of proficiency and skill in customer service, and team building/collaboration.
- Ability to deal with confidential material in a sensitive manner.
- Must have excellent problem-solving skills.
- Must have strong computer skills, including strong proficiency in Excel (pivot tables and lookups).
- Ability to collaborate with fast-moving teams in a high-demand environment.
- Proficient in English (fluency is required).
- You must reside and be legally eligible to work in the United States.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal.
- Due to the sensitive nature of this position, a background check will be performed.
Anywhere in the United States
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- As Toptal’s VP of Finance, Carlos oversees all of the company’s financial operations, ensuring sustainable company growth and seamless payments infrastructure for both Toptal’s clients and talent, distributed across the globe. Carlos has partnered with companies at every stage of growth to design and execute specialized projects in FP&A, financial operations, strategy, and IR, including previously leading the Finance and Investor Relations functions for BrightStar, a multi-billion dollar global enterprise, of which he helped sell a majority stake to Softbank at a $2.2 billion valuation. Carlos has played a vital role in several large capital raises, M&A initiatives, financial roadshows, and financial systems implementations. Carlos loves taking financial data and using it as the foundation of a compelling story to enable intelligent & strategic data-driven decisions. Carlos has a BS in Finance and an MBA from the Rochester Institute of Technology.