Toptal is one of the most innovative and rapidly expanding tech start-ups from Silicon Valley. With backing from investors such as Andreessen Horowitz and Adam D’Angelo, our platform is the fastest growing labor marketplace in the history of the Internet—connecting thousands of elite engineers and designers all over the world. In the last five years, Toptal has become the #1 choice for tech companies requiring top-tier engineering and design talent and for the top 3% of freelancers looking for their next challenge.
While we’re primarily focused on bringing quality and value to our clients, we’re also committed to creating a world-class environment for our employees. We are a completely distributed company with thousands of core and network team members located all over the world, and we take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We take an all-hands-on-deck approach to our work, taking pride in being collaborative, creative, and flexible.
If you aren’t looking for a job because you’re already killing it, we want you.
Reporting directly to the Corporate Controller, the Payroll Manager will be responsible for ensuring the accurate and timely processing of both domestic and international payments, maintain full ownership of Payroll related GL accounts, and ensure the proper payroll related control environment is maintained (SOX).
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere within the United States, and thus the Payroll Manager position will be required to perform at a high level of proficiency with minimal supervision.
Responsibilities will include various other duties as assigned, and you will work with Toptal’s finance team to continuously be making our systems and processes smarter and more efficient.
Proof of eligibility to work in the US will be required.
- Handle tasks from a variety of sources timely and with an extremely high attention to detail.
- Ensure that all inquiries received are either resolved or are on a clear path to resolution within 24 hours of the time they are received.
- Manage workflow to ensure all payroll transactions are processed accurately and timely.
- Manage workflow to ensure all necessary control procedures occur prior to disbursement initiation.
- Reconcile Payroll related GL accounts and produce reconciliation packages for the Corporate Controller review/approval.
- Give the proper oversight to all outsourced payroll providers and escalate issues when necessary.
- Ensure accurate and timely monthly, quarterly, & year-end reporting.
- Set up and reconcile voluntary payroll deductions, prepare reports, and identify and research exceptions.
- Provide the highest level of customer service as needed, and respond to a variety of payroll inquiries in a timely manner.
- Work in tandem with both HR and Finance leaders to ensure a high level of communication and transparency.
- Involve team members as appropriate to solve complex or difficult situations quickly and efficiently.
- Be in constant communication with team members using a variety of remote communication applications.
- Must be a self-starter who takes ownership of the role they are in, has a high level of initiative and drive, and maintains a high level of integrity.
- Must be able to thrive in an unstructured environment and complete day-to-day tasks as well as larger projects with minimal supervision.
- 5+ years of experience in payroll preparation and processing. Manager level experience is preferred.
- Experience performing GL reconciliations, researching variances, and recommending/performing proper remediation steps.
- Must possess a high level of proficiency and skill in customer service, and team building/collaboration.
- Ability to deal with confidential material in a sensitive manner.
- Must have excellent problem-solving skills.
- Must have strong computer skills, including strong proficiency in Excel (pivot tables and lookups).
- Ability to collaborate with fast-moving teams in a high-demand environment.
- Proficient in English (fluency is required).
- You must reside and be legally eligible to work in the United States.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal.
- Due to the sensitive nature of this position, a background check will be performed.
Anywhere in the United States