Profile Editing Specialist
Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Would you like to serve as a final quality control gatekeeper as we bring freelance talent into the network? The Profile Editing team gathers and defines quality requirements for Toptal profiles, disseminates those requirements to the screening team, and provides copy editing for each and every profile as it passes through the system to ensure that it is linguistically accurate and aligns with the quality guidelines that we maintain.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English!
You will learn how we utilize our style requirements and apply them when proofreading and providing edit updates to Toptal profiles. This will also include creating and updating skill tags within our database, ensuring that guidelines for style and writing techniques are consistently adhered to. You will also get to know how we proofread email templates and other documentation on an as-needed basis. You will work in an entirely distributed company and help a small team expand from a passive quality control scope to a proactive hub that internal staff and freelance talent alike can turn to for expertise and mentorship!
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Gain access to and begin to absorb the style guide for profile editing.
- Meet with the team lead and colleagues and get a feel for the team and company culture.
- Orient yourself to the teams current activities and future plans.
In the first month, expect to:
- Work with recently updated active profiles to ensure consistent adherence to style guidelines.
- Focus on learning vertical-specific jargon for Toptal’s existing verticals and, if applicable, any upcoming verticals.
- Evolve from shadowing senior team members through the editing process to proofreading profile updates and skills database entries.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Contribute actively in team meetings, idea generation sessions, and special projects.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Progress from absorbing information from subject matter experts to providing expertise yourself, actively contributing to the development of the team’s glossary of technical terms.
In the first year, expect to:
- Become a subject matter expert on profile components and assist with the on-boarding of new team members.
- Become a partner and representative of the profile editing team to support meaningful projects and initiatives across Toptal.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in English, English writing, linguistics, or related field is a plus.
- An acute eye for detail.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Native ability in North American English.
- Good foundational knowledge in English grammar and writing mechanics.
- Ability to edit written English material to a style guide, ideally in a professional or academic setting. Alternatively, a strong ability to follow detailed standard operating procedures.
- Experience with resume writing is a plus
- Familiarity with specific terminology within one of Toptal’s practice areas is a plus; practice areas include developers, designers, finance, product managers, and project managers.
- Must be an elite individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.